BettyVonChic’s Owner featured in Golden Stories by NYC Designer Gwen Biloti
BettyVonChic’s Owner Mary Martin’s style story. Published by NYC Jewelry Designer Gwen Biloti
1. Who is Mary Martin?
I am the owner of BettyVonChic Clothing, and I live in Chicago, Illinois.
2. How do you define fashion and or style?
Fashion is everywhere and accessible to almost everyone, but style is individual, and like other art forms, is expressive and tells others something about you. It's fascinating to study a person's style and see how it evolves but often carries with it a bit of the past.
3. What influences your style? ie travel, work, movies, magazines, social media trends, celebrities, color, etc.
I have always been influenced by movies, music, and old Hollywood glamour. I adore fashions from the past, and I love to make a statement when I dress. It doesn't always need to be a bold statement. The old saying that less is more can apply to fashion too. Sometimes subtle accessories, makeup and hair can take your style to the next level.
4. How has your style evolved?
My style has definitely evolved over the years. When I was younger, I wanted to follow trends that did not always work for my body type. I have learned what looks good on my body and have been able to develop and elevate my personal style by not feeling the need to jump on every trend.
5. What does your dream wardrobe consist of?
Since we are talking about a dream wardrobe, I would have to say vintage classics like Chanel, Versace, and a mix of high-end high-quality items that have stood the test of time.
6. If you were to give fashion advice to your younger self, what would it be?
Dress up for yourself. Buy classics, and accessorize to make them trendy and more relevant for the current fashion climate. You don't need to splurge on the "it" fashion. Instead, invest in classic items you truly love, and combine them over and over again with current trends.
7. How important is it to be body positive and to appreciate the skin that you're in?
Being body positive is everything. Confidence is the most important thing you will ever wear, so learning what looks good on you and creating your own personal style is really important. I love that many brands are now recognizing that there is not just one shape or size that defines beauty. It's a step in the right direction.
8. What do you love about jewelry? What is your absolute favorite is it earrings, necklaces, etc.
I love all of it, so It's hard to choose a favorite! I find myself accessorizing with a bit of everything from diamonds and crystals to beads and natural stones. I think it started when I was a little girl. My dad used to pick out the most beautiful gifts for my mom, and I can remember admiring them even then.
9. What are your non-negotiables...? What must you have / wear / do? and what are your, “I’m never ever doing or wearing that”?
My must- haves are lipstick, a great black blazer, high heels, and a quality handbag. Don't forget the beautiful rings and earrings!
10. Tell us why you choose fashion and style. So, what we mean by that is, we don’t have to dress up, we don’t have to adorn ourselves with jewels and embellish with accessories, but we do, we choose to… why do you?
Fashion and style are artistic, and it is a creative outlet for me. It allows me to express my individuality and femininity. I wear a lot of suits; I also love to be flashy and individualistic, so accessories are the perfect way to add some flash/flavor to any ensemble.
11. What’s your favorite fashion/style quote or mantra?
Alexander McQueen once said "Fashion should be a form of escapism and not imprisonment." At BettyVonChic we say, "The classic looks never go out of style."
12. How and where can people connect with you?
TikTok: @bettyvonchic https://www.tiktok.com/@bettyvonchic?
Pinterest: Bettyvonchic https://www.pinterest.com/bettyvonchic/_shop/
We also believe the classics are just that: classics! They really will look good forever. Thank you for sharing your story with us, Mary.